Friday, November 30, 2007

Breaking News Can Bring Your Blog to the Top 10 in Google

It's not always easy to make it onto the first page of a Google search, but there are a few things that can help boost you up to the top. One of the best examples I can share with you comes from one of my other blogs, Blogging Mt Hood. Most people in the U.S. are familiar with the story that brought my blog to the top - unintentionally.

Since I live in the Mt Hood area of Oregon, I decided it would be fun to blog about the local events, people, places to go, and local news from the locals' point of view. Well, nearly one year ago, three hikers went missing on Mt Hood. When I decided to write about what happened in our local area, the tragic events that took place on the mountain became the very thing that brought my blog to the front page of Google. Because two of those hikers were never found, people continue to search for answers from across the country, and visit my blog to read about it.

While I would certainly hope that there is a more positive news story you are able to follow - I encourage bloggers to include current events in their blog posts. I would even suggest finding out what some of the top search terms are for the day - and if any apply to your niche, then be sure to include it.

Now don't get me wrong, including names like Paris, Lindsay or Britney in your blog may not be the best way to bring visitors to your blog - even if they are in the news a lot. People continue to visit Blogging Mt Hood because the story is relevent to the blog, and they return to read many other blog posts, not just the tragedies. In fact - if you were to use a famous name to bring people to your techie blog - you'll quickly learn that even when people do land on your site due to specific keywords, if they aren't relevent to your blog topic - the visitors will quickly leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment